Troubleshooting Adobe Add-ons
Troubleshooting guide for Adobe Add-ons
Aug 30, 2016 11:35 PDT
Troubleshooting guide for Add-ons from Creative Cloud Web Site
- Extension Manager is obsolete in CC 2015
- Troubleshooting Add-on installation problems
- Get support for Add-on problems
- Installation error codes and descriptions
- Add-ons FAQ
Extension Manager obsolete in CC2015
ALL Creative Cloud users should move to the Creative Cloud Desktop application to install Add-ons.
- 2015 users MUST use the Creative Cloud Desktop application to install Add-ons.
- It is still possible for earlier Creative Cloud versions (CC and CC2014) to use Extension Manager CC, but we STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you migrate to the new model.
WARNING Using Extension Manager CC to install any Add-ons in earlier versions can interfere with your ability to install CC2015 Add-ons through the Creative Cloud Desktop application. To avoid problems, users of all Creative Cloud versions should begin using the Creative Cloud Desktop application to install Add-ons.
Once you have upgraded to CC2015, ensure that all of your Add-ons are properly installed by following these steps:
- Uninstall Extension Manager CC.
- Uninstall and reinstall any Adobe application using the Creative Cloud Desktop application in order to refresh the internal database.
Note CS6 users must use Extension Manager CS6 to install Add-ons, and NOT Extension Manager CC.
For more information see the End-of-life Plan for Extension Manager.
Troubleshooting Steps for Add-on Installation
If you are using a Creative Cloud version of an Adobe product, and have purchased or acquired an Add-on from the Creative Cloud Add-ons web site, and have a problem installing your new Add-on, try the following steps.
- Step 1: Check that you have acquired your Add-on
- Step 2: Make sure you have installed the Creative Cloud Desktop app
- Step 3: Make sure sync-files is turned on and not paused
- Step 4: Make sure you have installed a compatible Adobe application
- Step 5: Restart your Adobe application to enable the Add-on
- Step 6: Close all Adobe Applications and reinstall your Add-on
- Step 7: Check feedback from Activity Stream
NOTE If you are using a CS6 version of an Adobe product, there is one more thing you can try:
For further information:
Step 1: Check that you have Internet access and have acquired your Add-on
You must have Internet access to install an Add-on. When you have Internet access, you can open the Creative Cloud Desktop App to check whether you have acquired the Add-on you are trying to install.
All Add-ons that you have successfully acquired with a given Adobe ID are shown on the My Add-ons page. You must log in with your Adobe ID to see this page.
- If you have more than one Adobe ID, note that you can only install and sync Add-ons with one Adobe ID at a time.
- If the list shows that the Add-on has been acquired but not installed, use the Install button next to it in the list.
- If you do not see the Add-on you were looking for in the list, try to acquire it again by going back to the home page for that Add-on.
Step 2: Make sure you have installed the Creative Cloud Desktop App
Add-ons require the Creative Cloud desktop and at least one compatible Adobe application to be installed. If you have not already installed the Creative Cloud desktop app you can get it from https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud
If you have already installed the app and the app is open, check that the icon appears properly:
In Mac OS: You should see an icon on the menu bar on a Mac, If you do not see this icon, check your applications folder in Finder
In Windows: You should see the icon in the notifications area. If you do not see the icon, check to see if the app is in the Start > All Programs menu.
Step 3: Make sure sync-files feature is turned on and not paused
In order for an add-on to be installed in a host application, the file-sync capability must be enabled in the Creative Cloud desktop. When it is off, the Start Syncing button appears on the Files tab, allowing you to enable it.
To check whether the feature is enabled, and to turn it on or off, check the Preferences:
When this feature is enabled, your add-ons are automatically synced/downloaded and installed, and a toast notification appears on your screen to indicate that your add-on has been installed. File syncing is also used to automatically update any add-on that you have acquired whenever an update is available, so that you always have the latest version.
If sync-files is enabled, check the bottom of the Files tab to see if it is paused, and use the link there to resume.
Step 4: Make sure you have installed a compatible Adobe application
Specific add-ons are compatible with specific Adobe desktop applications. You can check product compatibility by visiting the product detail page for your Add-on.
Navigate to the My Add-ons page and select the Add-on to view the details page:
On the Add-on Details page, check the compatibility section at the top right. You can also check the “Where to find it” section on the Add-on Details page to see where the add-on should have been installed, and how to access it in the host application.
Step 5: Restart your Adobe application so that the Add-on can be enabled
Certain Add-ons require that you restart the application for them to be able to work. If you had your Adobe application open during the install process, try closing and re-opening it.
Step 6: Close all Adobe apps and reinstall
Some Add-ons may fail to install completely when an Adobe application is running. The producer will normally add a note to their installation instructions when this is the case.
In this case, you need to close all running Adobe applications and navigate back to your
My Add-ons page, and use the Remove button to remove the partially installed add-on.
The Remove button changes to an Install button, which you can use to reinstall the add-on.
Step 7: Check feedback from the Activity Stream
You can see a history of Add-on installations and removals in the Activity Stream section of the Home tab in the Creative Cloud Desktop app.
If the Add-on appears in the ‘Acquired’ list in My Add-ons, but it is not shown in your Activity Stream, try re-installing it.
- Click Remove in My Add-ons, wait a few moments, and click Install again.
- Restart your computer and re-launch the Creative Cloud Desktop app.
- Check whether the Add-on has been installed automatically after the restart.
- If not, and if there is no corresponding Activity shown, make sure that Extension Manager has been completely uninstalled from your computer.
- After Extension Manager is uninstalled, uninstall and then reinstall an Adobe application using the Creative Cloud Desktop app in order to refresh the Adobe database.
- Reinstall your Add-on.
If there is still no corresponding Activity in your Activity stream, follow the steps in this article: https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-6306
CS6 Users: Try installing through Extension Manager
If you are using CS6 versions of Adobe applications, try installing through Extension Manager CS6 instead of the Creative Cloud Desktop application.
When you open the “Where to Find It” section, you will see the section “Trouble installing your Add-on?”
Click the link for “Download/Install your Add-on another way”. This downloads the ZXP package containing your Add-on. You can then try installing it directly through Extension Manager CS6.
NOTE: It is important the version of Extension Manager matches the version of the application in which you are trying to install the Add-on. CS6 users MUST use Extension Manager CS6 to install add-ons, and not Extension Manager CC.
The Extension Manager does not directly support add-on installation for some Adobe applications, including Muse and Lightroom. When you open the Extension Manager, add-ons for those applications appear under ‘Others.’ You can install these add-ons manually. When a file is listed under ‘Others,’ look for the add-on file in your local Downloads folder. See the “Where to find it” section of the Add-on Details page for instructions on how to install the file manually.
Get Support for Add-on Problems
If you are still having problems installing or accessing your Add-on, you can get support from Adobe, or directly from the Add-on producer.
- Contact Adobe support at email@example.com
- You will find contact details for each producer on the “More By This Producer" page. Navigate to the Add-on details page and choose the “See More” link in the More By This Producer box.
On the “More By This Producer" page, look for contact information on the left:
Add-on Installation Error Codes and Descriptions
If you know the error code identifying the installation problem, check this table to find out what the problem is and how you can solve it, or contact support with this information.
|-175||Failed to escalate privilege|
|-201|| Failed to unpack the ZXP file
Solution: Make sure the add-on is valid and completely downloaded.
|-402|| Failed signature verification
Solution: Resign the ZXP file, using the latest ZXPSignCmd tool. See Help document ion .
|-403, -411|| Compatible CC app not found.
Solution: Install compatible CC application before installing add-ons.
|-407, -408|| An add-on required by this one is not installed or enabled.
Solution: Install the required add-ons before installing this one.
|-412|| An add-on with the same name has been installed.
Solution: Remove the conflicting add-on and reinstall this one.
|-418|| A newer version of this add-on has been installed.
Solution: Remove the current version of the add-on and reinstall this one.
|-456|| The CC application should be terminated to install the add-on.
Solution: Quit CC application first and reinstall the add-on.
|-458|| None of required CC apps has been installed.
Solution: Install the appropriate CC application and reinstall the add-on.
|-459||The CC application is not compatible. The version of the CC application does not work well with this add-on.|
| -152, -154, -155, -156, -157, -158,
-160, -161, -162, -163, -164, -165, -168, -169,
-171, -172, -176, -178, -179
|There is a file operation error when installing this add-on.|
| -251, -252, -253,
-254, -255, -256,
-257, -259, -260,
-261, -265, -266,
-267, -268, -269,
-270, -271, -272
|Failed to parse the file.|
| -500, -501, -502, -503, -504,
-505, -506, -507, -508, -508, -509
|Failed to update the database.|
|-601, -602, -603, -604, -651, -652, -653||Failed to do online license check.|
|0||Failed to download ZXP file.|
Frequently-Asked Questions about Adobe Add-ons
- What do I need in order to install add-ons?
- Do I need to have a CC subscription in order to use the Add-ons web site or install certain add-ons?
- Will I be sent a download link to install my add-on?
- I am a CS4 / CS5 user. Can I use Add-ons?
- My add-ons are installed successfully, but how do I use them?
- My add-on installed into ‘Other’ in Extension Manager. Where can I find my downloaded add-on?
- My add-on requires a serial code to work – where can I find that?
- What does this error mean? ‘The MXI file is invalid, the extension will not be installed’
- What do I do if I get a ‘License Verification Failed’ error during installation?
- I can’t find my add-on, where was it downloaded to?
- Where can I see an overview of all the Add-ons that I have acquired?
- How do I know if my add-on will work with my Adobe app and OS?
- What can I do if an add-on I produced received an undeserved negative review?
- I purchased an Add-on under the wrong ID. Can I swap the purchase to a different ID?
- I have Lightroom, but I do not use any Creative Cloud products. Can I still use Add-ons?
What do I need in order to install add-ons?
If you are a CC or above user, you need a copy of the free Creative Cloud Desktop app, which you can download from creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud.
If you are a CS6 user, you do not need the CC Desktop app, but you must install Extension Manager CS6 (not CC!) which you can obtain from here: www.adobeexchange.com/resources.
Do I need to have a CC subscription in order to use the Add-ons web site or install certain add-ons?
No. You only need a copy of the CC Desktop App which is free to install and use. You can download it from: creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud
Will I be sent a download link to install my add-on?
No. If you are a CC or above user, your download will commence automatically in the background using the CC Desktop App as soon as you select the blue ‘install’ button from the product page on the add-ons web site. The install button triggers the CC Desktop App to install the add-on on your computer. Check the ‘Where to Find it’ section of the product page for details of where the add-on will install to.
If you are a CS6 user, you must navigate to ‘My-Addons > [click the product name] >’Where to Find it’ > ‘Download / Install another way’ and follow the steps provided.
I am a CS4 / CS5 user. Can I use Add-ons?
No, Add-ons is intended primarily for CS6 users and more recent. If you have already purchased the add-on, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My add-ons are installed successfully, but how do I use them?
If the producer of your add-on has not provided enough usage information in the Description text and ‘Where to Find it’ section, please get in touch with the producer directly via the Add-ons web site by clicking the producer name, then ‘about’ to reveal their email address. Adobe are not experts in the usage of any add-ons and our advice is limited in usability of specific add-ons.
My add-on installed into ‘Other’ in Extension Manager. Where can I find my downloaded add-on?
‘Other’ is a category we use for all other Adobe Applications that are not listed individually on the Extension Manager. A few examples are Muse, Lightroom, and After Effects. If your add-on is installed into ‘Other’, the first place to check for the add-on is in your Downloads folder on your local machine. If it is not installed there, please check the ‘Where to Find it’ section on the product home page on the Add-ons web site for more insight. If your product was ‘supposed’ to install into your local Downloads folder but didn’t, you can email us for support.
My add-on requires a serial code to work – where can I find that?
As long as you purchased the full version of the product and haven’t downloaded a trial version, your serial code will be sent to you by email from our e-commerce vendor, FastSpring, moments after purchase. If you have any problems related to your serial code, please get in touch with Adobe at email@example.com.
If you have not received your license key:
- Check whether you used a different email address for the purchase than your usual email.
- Check your spam and junk email folders for the message containing the license code.
- If you still can’t find the key, contact so we can resend the email containing your license code.
What does this error mean? ‘The MXI file is invalid, the extension will not be installed’
This is most likely because your version of Extension Manager does not match your Adobe app version. For example you are using Extension Manager CS6 to install a CC-compatible add-on. You must check the compatibility information published on the add-on homepage on the add-ons web site and then clarify that the add-on is compatible with the specific Adobe app you have.
What do I do if I get a ‘License Verification Failed’ error during installation?
Please check our related Forum post here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/6691810#6691810. If it does not resolve your problem, please follow these steps:
1. Log out of CC Desktop App by clicking Preferences, Account, Log Out then Quit the program.
2. Log out of the Add-ons web site and clear the cache in your web browser.
3. Uninstall Extension Manager from your computer.
4. Reboot your computer.
5. Relaunch the Creative Cloud Desktop App and log in.
6. Then log into https://creative.adobe.com/addons/my_addons and click ‘Remove’ then ‘Install’ on the add-on.
If you continue to get the same error:
- Check that you are logged into Creative Cloud CC Desktop App or Adobe Add-ons website with the same Adobe ID that you used to purchase the add-on.
- Check whether you are an Enterprise customer. Enterprise customers cannot purchase add-ons individually. If this is the case, we can revoke the purchase license and send you a full refund.
- Email your order number to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include ‘Enterprise user – refund request’ in the subject line.
I can’t find my add-on, where was it downloaded to?
Every add-on install location is set by the producer, so it is important to always read the ‘Where to Find it’ section of each individual add-on to find out where it will save to. If it is not where it is supposed to be, please restart your computer and recheck. If this does not help, please report any error messages reported in the CC Desktop app’s Activity Stream to email@example.com. Include screenshots where possible.
Where can I see an overview of all the Add-ons that I have acquired?
Log into the Add-ons web site, and select ‘My Add-ons’ from the left hand pane, or log into this page: https://creative.adobe.com/addons/my_addons
How do I know if my add-on will work with my Adobe app and OS?
There is a compatibility window on the top right side of the home page of each individual add-on which lists its operating system compatibility, its application compatibility, and its application version number compatibility.
What can I do if an add-on I produced received an undeserved negative review?
Reviews will only be hidden or deleted if they are genuinely deemed to be unfair or offensive. Reviews are a good source of feedback on enhancements that you as a producer can consider for your product. If you disagree with a review, please email us.
I purchased an Add-on under the wrong ID. Can I swap the purchase to a different ID?
We cannot transfer the purchases across due to licensing but we can offer you a refund for the initial purchase, then you can purchase again via the correct ID. If you would like us to do this, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your Order ID beginning with ‘ADO’. Doing so will disable the add-on on your initial computer.
I have Lightroom, but I do not use any Creative Cloud products. Can I still use Add-ons?
Yes. You do not have to be a Subscriber to Creative Cloud in order to use Lightroom Add-ons. However, you must use the CC Desktop app to obtain the Add-on. The app checks that you have a license for it, and aids the installation process.
You can obtain a copy of the free CC Desktop app from: https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud
If you want, you can uninstall it after you have obtained the Add-on.
- If you cannot install your Add-on through the CC Desktop app, go to the Add-on home page and choose Download / Install your Add-on another way.
- Read the Where to Find It instructions for your Add-on, which explain where to look to find the downloaded ZXP for your Add-on: https://creative.adobe.com/addons/my_addons. It is normally in the local Downloads folder on the C drive.
- Use Extension Manager CC to install the ZXP. Download Extension Manager here: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/index.html.